Thread: Overheating?
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2015, 03:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

The main problem with the temperature sender is it needs to be submerged in water. I have seen many overheating problems where the water was so low that it didn't register on the gauge. Or the customer has driven the car, it's overheated, they saw it on the gauge, pressed on, it's then lost all it's water and the gauge reading went back down. So they think it's alright. Then 5 to 10 minutes later, the engine starts to seize and the paint is melting of the block. The worst scenario, is that all the fluid leaks overnight, you then drive away with no water in the engine, the gauge doesn't register until it's to late. So what I've done is fit a airplane head temp gauge. It is a washer that has 2 bimetallic wires about 5 inches long and you screw the washer under the spark plug or a head bolt. As it heat up it sends a weak voltage signal to the gauge. No 12 volts needed. So if there is no water, it will still show the head temp. It's very accurate. It's a VDO gauge. It's really designed for air cooled engines. On my VW powered gyrocopter, I had one on either side cylinders.
JD