View Single Post
Old 11-01-2015, 05:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I call bull sheet. I polished number of wheels some very oxidized. Worst case scenario you need a little 2" orbital sander. Start at 180 grit, than 300, 600, 1000, 1500. Then I bought a polishing wheel not readily available, it has some ass/stiffness to it. That eliminates all the scratches from the sanding and you could easily stop at that point. If you want a mirror you than use a cotton wheel with rouge. Never sand with your hand, you make straight scratches no matter how often you twist. An orbital sander leaves millions of random lines your eyes can not follow and therefore you can't see. I bought a pneumatic one at harbor freight but you have to have a compressor. The challenge I had was getting the buffing wheel not readily available. I will sell my kit for $60.00. You could polish 100 wheels. You do need a polisher, not the clown ones you see but one like the desalt dap 849 or 7" polisher from harbor freight for 39.99. a power ball and drill GTFO!!!!! Tell them to get after it, my wheels looked like a mirror.

I wasted 40 hours with the wrong buffing wheels, once i figured it out 45 minutes top a wheel and that is from heavily pitted, oxidized to mirror finish. I will warn if you hit the tire with the buffing wheel it will rub/texture the rubber and it will look like sheet, best to remove tires or tape with many layers of tape, blue painter tape first than duck tape. don't put duck tape on directly or you won't get the sticky stuff off your tire, if you do blue painter tape and then duct tape it all comes off easy.

if you don't need to sand than 10 minutes a wheel with right polishing wheel and buffer. If you lived in Houston I would do for free.

Last edited by madmaxx; 11-01-2015 at 05:55 PM..