View Single Post
Old 11-13-2015, 08:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTC45 View Post
I just connected a VDO GPS Sensor to my VDO guage. After sever attempts I found that best connection for the 12 V wire (red)was to the green wire (12 V) coming out of the back of the speedo. he black wire to ground the white wire to ground and the green wire to the # 8 connector on the speedo. Remember to disconnect the sensor coming from the rear end (on my BDR) or the trans. Mine is connected so that the power to the sensor is live when the ign is turned on. Takes a few seconds to power up and acquire signals. My sensor is mounted on the console just forward of the gear shift. You can mount it anywhere you please but remember it is a LOS (line of Sight) antenna . I hope this helps.
Very good - thanks.

I note the following from the VDO GPS sender instructions:

"This sender will perform optimally when mounted with a ‘clear line of sight’ to the sky, i.e.: not blocked by a roofline or other steel structure. Other locations may work, depending on your vehicles characteristics."

"GPS Sender LED flashes orange. Sender is attempting to connect to the GPS satellites. This is normal during power up, and will take 35-60 seconds in ideal settings to connect and change to ‘green’(this can take up to 3-4 minutes under certain circumstances). If the sender is not able to connect to at least 1 satellite, or maintain connection to at least 1 satellite, the light will continue to flash orange. This is most likely caused by the sender being mounted in a location that is receiving interference [emphasis mine], or the vehicle is located in an area that cannot get a clear view of the GPS satellites."

Based upon the above, it appears the sender could be mounted under the dash, as long as the body is fiberglass. Having said that, it appears some level of caution is required to ensure the sender is mounted in a location where it will not be affected by interference.

Questions:
  1. Has anyone mounted the VDO speed sender under the dash? If so, what has been your experience, results, etc.?
  2. Are there any issues in mounting the sender in relatively close proximity to an MSD 6A (p/n 6420) ignition? My MSD 6A is mounted on a chrome plated steel panel, dead centre on the engine side of the firewall, midway between the intake manifold and the hood. The sender would most likely be mounted 6" behind and about 6" to the side of the MSD box - about 8" diagonally from the box.