View Single Post
Old 11-14-2015, 06:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft - Coyote
Not Ranked     
Default Grundy Insurance

I'm posting this because I need to vent. To begin, my current cobra insurance with American Modern is coming up for renewal. Like any prudent consumer I thought I would shop around to see what the competition has to offer. After searching through Club Cobra I took notes on what companies that members were using. The list included the common names we are all aware of. Hagerty, Heacock, American Collectors, Condon and Skelly, Grundy, etc. I even called the big daily driver companies like Allstate, State Farm, etc. I called them all to get quotes. 20% of them won't insure cobra's anymore. I was fine with that. The rest came in higher than my current rate ($730). I'm also fine with that. When it came down to Grundy they were not only fine with insuring my car but also came in at $411 for the year. They now had my full attention. I asked them to send me an application that included my quote. They did and I must have called them back 3 times asking questions before I submitted it to them. Since the price was miles apart from the competition I had to make sure they were absolutely aware of every detail of what I was insuring. I had them check again with their underwriters to make sure my make, model, etc. was a car they would take. They reassured me again and stood by their quote. Feeling comfortable, I continued to move forward. I took pictures of my car. I provided evidence of my daily driver coverage. I provided a copy of my title. I included a statement that I would be the only driver of the vehicle. I noted that I have no moving violations or claims in the last five years, etc., etc., etc. Then I sent it to them. The next day I get an email stating that since my car is titled as a 1965 replica built in 2012 it would not qualify for "1965" rates. The quote then went from $411 to $823. I called them back for an explanation and to dispute the quote. I made them aware that many Backdraft owners on this site have insurance through them at similar rates as my original quote. They didn't seem to care. They kept referencing that it had to be a vehicle built in 1965. This was something I could not get my arms around. Are they telling me that if it was a real 1965 cobra they would have no problem insuring a car worth $ seven figures for only $411 a year? I wasn't expecting such negligence from a reputable company like theirs. Has anyone had experiences like this? How do your titles read?

Any thoughts or advice are welcomed.