View Single Post
Old 12-05-2015, 07:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Mk III / Windsor platform
Neutral     

The Superformance is not the most dead nuts accurate looking replica you can buy. If that is your primary consideration you should buy Shelby Continuation or Kirkham, followed by ERA. Past those three, Superformance is probably as accurate looking as the best of the rest. They all have their little tweaks and take minor allowances here and there. The SPF cars are well engineered, solid and well built with quality components. I don't think there any real problems or flaws with the current cars. You should be able to expect as many fun and trouble free miles as you want to put on the car. (I am working on 71,000 miles on mine.) Any problems you might have will likely be directly linked to the engine you select. There are lots of performance upgrades you can do if you want, but I don't think any are "necessary" if you want mainly a street cruiser. My car is an earlier/mid design (1061). I used to track the car extensively and did many performance upgrades. Off the top of my head and in no particular order, here is a list of things I have done to my car over 14 years of ownership:

1. Avon CRZ66 tires
2. Sprayed inner fender wells with truck bed liner to catch Avon's rocks
3. Olthoff big hat brake kit
4. Olthoff custom adjustable Bilstein coil overs
5. Olthoff custom taller roll bar (to meet VIR rules)
6. R/T rear shock mounts
7. stainless steel brake lines
8. brake and clutch fluid reservoir moved to fire wall
9. R/T adjustable ball joints
10.GTP front and rear sway bars with poly bushings
11.Kirkey aluminum racing driver's seat
12.Halon fire suppression system
13.Torsen rear differential
14.Accusump

You can see you will have no trouble spending as much money as you want. But again, all of these things a primarily track oriented mods and are totally optional and not necessary to make the car safe or fix flaws.
Maintenance items in 70,000+ mile of driving have included:

1. brakes and tires
2. engines (3)
3. ignition switch
4. starter motor
5. alternator
6. water temp gauge
7. ammeter
8. battery ground wire broken at frame

That's about it. I would buy another Superformance without reservation. Drive it like you stole it but keep the shiny side up. Have fun.