View Single Post
Old 12-07-2015, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoity View Post
Good news for the cobra and kit car community.

Read the article and the following extract i dont understand, how Ford doesn't have a compliant motor?

Not all those challenges are covered in the new bill. Engines powering the cars still have to meet emissions, which at the moment means using GM engines.

“The biggest limitation I see in the near-term, is the fact that there is only one class of engines available from General Motors that will be compliant with this law,” said Ward. “All of us in this community are hoping that Ford, Mopar and others will follow suit, developing crate- and emissions-certified engines to enhance our options.”

Could someone explain the differences.
Cheers
Jon

Read more: Small-volume carmakers get a big break in Motor Vehicle Safety Act | Autoweek
Simple, they don't have a crate engine that's emissions certified 'out of the box'. That would include the engine, EFI, engine management system, etc., as a complete package. It's probably relatively simple to make it happen but, as to whether they want to spend the money for a relatively small volume, that's another question. Perhaps on the 'halo car' effect and the Ford 'brand' they'll make the investment.