View Single Post
Old 12-12-2015, 04:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

hi Wazza...

Is why I started the other thread.. to further clarify or get an opinion on what the implications are.. as its bloody difficult to continue to build if the goal posts are moving.

My understanding is that technically the regs stay the same, but the inspection process and jurisdiction of the Certifying Engineer has been turned on its head.

Mandatory detailed inspections of ALL ICV's by the RMS are now required until further notice.

I'd already raised the example of a Willwood brake master V a 'hot rod' style unit which is missing the same certification marks or testing and is not used in any AU compliant production vehicle.

The 'hot rod' unit would apparently fail immediately, but Willwood would be more likely to pass. I really dont understand the difference when the test is about pedal pressure and brake system performance.

Same deal on the beam and test data.. I have a set from the same vehicle type from the same manufacturer. The engineer had previously accepted calcs on the chassis mods I performed as meeting or exceeding the test results I paid for at the time. Now this data is apparently totally unacceptable and a unique test will be required.

Ive also been advised they will be looking for weld strength calcs for evey critical component / system and anchorage point as well as doing xrays of chassis parts to verify weld integrity.

To be frank it does seem a bit a$$ about, punish the builders because of failures by a minority of the RMS appointed Engineers.

I have sent a list of data and components to my engineer for review and advise re those which require compliance data or testing, as yet I'm awaiting his reply to assess further.

Look forward to any further thoughts or advice.. as far as I can see I am missing something.. but Im not sure what it is.. !

Cheers

Chris

LS3 motor, TR6060 box with Falcon ABS, 17" Halibrand wheels, 3.55:1 Ford Racing IRS and Willwood brake upgrade