View Single Post
Old 12-17-2015, 06:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some kind of FORD thingy, with several pis tins, twin chain driven SUs feeding a Y block, apparently.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat racing View Post
I thought that would get your interest 750hp,
Ive spoken to my mate Mark and as i have photos of the car/engine he is not that keen for me to post them up on an open forum, and thats fair enough, but i will give you a few more details, the car is a 69 fastback mustang street car and he drag races it and has also raced it on the SA salt lakes.
The engine is a 429 Boss Shotgun Hemi stroked to 598ci, this car came out with this engine option in 69.
Jon Karsee built the engine, you must know him, he kicks the yanks butts and it runs one of his custom single plane intake manifolds topped with an 1150cfm dominator, but Mark has just had built a custom 1250 in the states to more suit his cam combo. I think you missed the point with this engine, a lot of guys up this way just like old school naturally aspirated engines that look pretty stock, no added bolt ons, i know i do, when you open the bonnet there is no extra hoses and pipes and belts and bling and crap everywhere, sure they could have built a bigger hp engine but that wasnt Marks brief, but i dont think they left much on the table by going down this route, any single carbied street car putting out north of 1000hp is pretty rare. Mark is not short of a buck and the engineering and driveline on this car is a work of art. Mark tells me he has just filled out the application limited to 100 entries to enter a 1000m time trial on an airfield to be held somewhere around the snowy mtns in november and the car with some gear changes will top 200mph. He likes his chances of maybe winning it. This car is Show and Go for a street car.

Its not the fastest car in the world or the biggest HP engine but it is super tough. Apples for apples i think Mark just wanted to show what can be done old school, and to kick sand in a few young blokes faces. I think he achieved that.
Hi 750 hp, just thought i would let you know, seeing you were interested, that in December issue of Street Machine page 146, there is a 2 page spread of my mate Mark Cliffords Mustang running in the Calder Park 2015 Draq Challenge, not bad considering he drove it down from NQ.