View Single Post
Old 12-18-2015, 03:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by guye View Post
TThe "thin" bits I was referring too weren't the body but just the gelcoat.
Guy, I am talking about the same thing and obviously not explaining myself very well. Transparency in the body can make the gelcoat appear thinner than it is. All fibreglass bodies are actually transparent. The only areas on our bodies that are not transparent are where the carbon fibre/kevlar are. So in the areas where the gelcoat looks thin, what is behind on the underneath side of the panels. With our upgraded bodies we have that much carbon/kevlar on them that all inside body is completely covered in carbon and that stops the body being transparent/translucent as it is effectively all masked. But since yours is not the upgraded body, you will have some sections that are not backed by carbon/kevlar and these sections will be transparent to some degree. By painting/coating the inside of the body in these sections it can help the gelcoat look more solid (less thin). All the inner guard sections are essentially blacked out by our high density foam you apply, so they are not a problem when the car is finished.

So even if you gelcoat is a little translucent in sections, blacking off the underside of the body can help the appearance. Also even if the gelcoat looks thin, due to the tricky translucent gelcoat we use, you will still have plenty of thickness of gelcoat left, so no issues in that regard.

Anyway, the body finish looks amazing in the photos, so I would say you did a bloody good effort on the detailing.