View Single Post
Old 12-28-2015, 08:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

God speed Jay.

I'm so sorry to hear of Jays passing.

Please let me share a few thoughts - stories - about Jay.

If ever the phrase "bigger than Texas" was meant for someone, I feel Jay well deserved it as he had a heart bigger than Texas.

Like many Jay became a friend of mine through this wonderful community of Cobra and car enthusiasts.

I too met Jay at the Run N Gun - so many years ago. Wayne T. had invited me over to have a drive. Jay joined us with George A. and a few others around the big blow up Halloween pumpkin and we were drinking shine from jam jars.

Being Australian - from down under - I quickly realized there was a plan to get me drunk on moonshine and Jay sided up and took my jar off me telling me "that stuff will kill you"

Little did anyone know, but Jay swapped my half full jar of shine with a full one of water with a nod. A few fellow moonshine drinkers are still talking about the Aussie who poured a pint of moonshine down and walked away. It was Jay just looking after a friend.

When my good friend Hershal and I arrived in Texas and called in see Jay the boys were too busy to talk as they were sitting around the table cards in hand. "Help yourself to a beer" Jay offered " I'll be finished here shortly as I'll nearly have all of their money"

Jays hospitality and car storage area was well frequented by all and Jay had time and advice for all.

Jay would not hear of Hershal and I staying in a motel and quickly volunteered his friend Robin's home to stay in. Jay drove us to Robins and picked us up each day. It was real Texas hospitality - hospitality that Jay was well known for.

In thinking about the times with Jay, one thing stood out and that was his compassion and caring for all of his military friends. He was concerned that one did not have a Cobra to drive when he returned home from service and was quick to come up with a plan.

Jay was great at extracting money out of those he thought could afford it and you were lucky to miss his dropping of a hammer at a charity car event - Jay I still treasure that signed Shelby photo you told me I was buying.

Jays visits to his favorite steak and ribs restaurant saw him buy lunch often for me with a " your in my town now Aussie put your money back in your pocket"

I was glad later to be able to return that hospitality Jay.

Like many, I knew Jay cared for his Mum and can recall the daily morning and afternoon visits he made to check on her when driving me about town.

It's been a while since I have been to Texas and I'm sorry that I was not able to catch Jay again.

To Jay and all of his many friends there in Texas and beyond, my thoughts are with you all and my condolences to Jays family and you all.

Please have a drink with Jay for me.

Bernie
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026