View Single Post
Old 12-31-2015, 12:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratchbuild, 289 FIA Replica
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhs.buckley View Post
Wouldnt of thought it was worth the cost for no gain, and i dont think 302 standard heads would cope with ethanol ie valves.
Ethanol has no negative effects on the mechanical engine parts. The only thing it affects is soft lines that are the incorrect rubber compounds, and even then, most modern lines are the correct rubber compounds. Ethanol also attracts water, but the only issue we've had is on long term storage in vehicle fuel tanks. We use see through inline filters and always store tanks "full" to solve that problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakesaway View Post
Thanks for you thoughts I basically just happened to pull into a United petrol station and saw the E85 fuel and noticed it was 107 octane and thought hmm I wonder if I'll notice the difference. Then thought about the higher amount of ethanol and higher octane and though maybe it might be better to do some investigation first. So really just a curiosity thing, more than anything else I certainly don't want to be changing carbies and fuel lines to run it its not worth it.

Cheers

Andrew
Change carbs, yes. But fuel lines are an overrated problem. Chances are, your fuel lines are ethanol tolerant, and if they are not, it's worth changing them anyway.

Last edited by 120mm; 12-31-2015 at 12:48 AM..