Old 01-11-2016, 03:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

[
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH View Post
Those are post-Cobra. As far I know, the dual four barrel offered as an option from SA for Cobra was the Carter setup. It was also offered through Ford with slight changes/evolution than what was used on the Cobra and past the production period of the Cobra.
Larry
The 2-4V Carter carburetors from a Chrysler application on a COBRA lettered intake was a popular regular production option for HP289 powered Cobras. The parts comprising the Cobra production system and what Ford sold retail through its dealers for years were different past the intake, carburetors, and air filters.

Larry is correct. The “high rise” 2-4V system using Ford specific Holley carburetors wasn’t around during Cobra production. The first high rise intake with Holleys was developed for the 1966 Shelby Group II Mustangs for the SCCA Trans-Am series. A different intake was developed for the 1967 season (probably to take advantage of the racing only C6FE cylinder heads designed for GT40s) and started off using the same models Ford/Holley carburetors introduced as a running change for the 1963 Ford 427 8V option (and 1966 Cobras <a.k.a. 427 Cobras> and the 1967 Shelby GT500 Mustangs and the early 1967 racing Bud Moore Cougars). As the 1967 race season got more aggressive the vacuum secondary carburetors eventually were replaced on Ford backed cars with fully mechanical specials built custom by Holley under Ford prototype part numbers.

The 1966 high rise system style been reproduced.

A company called Autosports marketed SHELBY lettered parts and accessories circa late 1967 through about early 1971.

Dan