View Single Post
Old 02-04-2016, 04:03 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Mark,

Thanks for the explanation. I was wrong about the Autocraft as I just forgot that it wasn't a Ford product and I did misinterpret what you said about the block number. I did agree that you can stick anything on a car and that doesn't make it a Ford or any other company product. And the 351 was used in so many cars and trucks it is hard to list them all. I use a 351 stroker in my Coupe.

As for the Torino Cobras, you are correct, except they only made a car called Torino Cobra in 1970. The 1969 Cobras were not Torinos but were made from 1968 Fairlane bodies that Hoilman Moody reworked and I have an original one that was special ordered for me. Ford only made them to get them certified for NASCAR, and Ford referred to them just as Fairlane Cobras or Cobras. My order sheet has it listed as a Fairlane Cobra. They did make Torino GTs in 1969 and you could order the 428 Cobra engine in them but not a lot of people did as they were quite a bit extra. There were just two og the GTs in this area and one had a 390 and the other a 351 and you could tell the difference in them and my Cobra from about as far away as you could see them if you knew what to look for.

I apologize for misinterpreting your earlier post and there are certainly no hard feelings.

Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
Ron,

No jumping intended. Just stating that the block was used in a buttload of Fords and Mercurys.

My point was the VIN is for a Galaxie 390 convert. The block is certainly not a '66 390 but then the car is not a 1966 Galaxie either!

If you read that I was on you, I apologize. That was NOT the intention.

Rick

View my Miscellaneous Gallery