View Single Post
Old 02-06-2016, 12:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well, the engine was delivered last week. Kudos to the driver who showed mercy on me and pulled the crate down the street with a pallet jack through ice, into the drive way through more ice and into the garage. I pulled off the top of the crate and the engine is wrapped in black shrink wrap. I wanted to remove it to have a look but resisted. I had ordered a case of Joe Gibbs racing oil and inside that box was my build sheet. I note that the date of casting was missing so that makes the block a service block. But it is a NOS 427 FE top oiler. And, DanEC and Dwight (by PM) correctly guessed that this is a Keith Craft engine. All of the documentation is at the house and I am at the office right now, but everything was documented. Weights of internal parts are listed and the engine was balanced to 0 oz. The Edelbrock aluminum heads were dissembled, ported, spring tensions measured, and reassembled. MSD electronic ignition. Gaps and torque specs were all recorded. Every component, and they are all top notch parts, has been listed. A stroker crank takes it out to 486 cu. in. The cam is a special grind and KC included the information from the machine shop who did the cam. They also put on a harmonic balancer. Dyno sheet shows 585 hp at 6,000 rpm, and ~ 562 ft lbs torque at 5,000 rpm. They have a detailed set of instructions on how to start the engine, but I will have someone else do this when the time comes. I will have to say that Keith Craft engines was a pleasure to work with. Very helpful and even though this engine is in a crate I could not be more pleased at this time. Lance is the new owner and bought KC Engines around a year ago. Great guys to do business with.