View Single Post
Old 02-21-2016, 04:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA 351W, B & B 427 Cobra, 331 Stroker,
Not Ranked     
Default New ERA Project...

Hello, all. I’m happy to say I just joined the proud ranks of ERA owners. Club Cobra has been a tremendous source of helpful advice during my first Cobra rebuild project, a B&B 427 Cobra, so I’m hoping for the same as I launch head long into Cobra #2. I purchased a 2001 street 289 built by ERA . My plans are to change a few things to make it more of a comp model with a street interior. I might go full comp at some point in the future but I’m watching my budget so a little at a time to start. Being on a budget I’m trying to locate some parts I might need that are used and in good or restorable condition. I’ve spoken to Peter at ERA several times and he has been extremely helpful and I’m sure I’ll be getting a lot of parts from them but I thought I’d try to find what I can used first, the more money I save on parts, the more parts I can buy sooner.

Wheels…currently the car has bolt-on Torque Thrust wheels. I’m looking for either 5 pin FIA wheels(less expensive route) or 6 pin wheels and the necessary ERA hubs to match. Can anyone speak to using 5 pin wheels with adapters? I understand there might be some machining of the front hubs for proper fitment? I suspect it will be difficult to find the 6 pin hubs outside of going to ERA. Maybe someone wants to go to bolt-on Torque Thrust wheels and exchange parts with me? Plus a cash bump from me, of course.

Exhaust…The car also comes with under-car exhaust. Does anyone know if the comp exhaust will bolt on to my existing headers without modification? Are there any other sources for comp exhaust other than ERA for this vehicle? I’m interested in using a 2 pipe outlet per side version I have seen on some other comp cars. Anyone know a vendor for these that will work on an ERA? Again, if there is someone interested in going to an under-car exhaust that wants to trade parts, that would be swell!

Brakes…This car has the standard front brakes and I want to go to the biggest brakes I can that will fit the FIA wheels. I understand the front calipers are from a Camaro but don’t know what year model. Does anyone have suggestions for an aftermarket caliper/rotor kit that is a good upgrade for this car?

Suspension….I was seriously thinking about building an ERA but the wait time was too much for me. In researching the build, I was interested in the ERA rear end and, being just a $700 upgrade, it seemed like a no-brainer to get it. This car has the standard jag rear and to retrofit an ERA rear is an expensive proposition. Is this upgrade worth doing if I only track the car a few times a year? Does anyone have an ERA rear they want to swap or have laying around they want to sell? This last one is a long shot, I’m sure.

Windshield…Are the windshields standard on all cobras or are there differences between the manufacturers? I want to find a used windshield frame that I can cut down to make a short lexan windscreen. Does anyone have a beat up frame that will fit the ERA 289 I can buy for a song and a dance, or say $100 shipped? I’m not sure that what I have planned will work so I’m trying to keep the cost down.

Roll bar…I also need a 289 roll bar. Beat up paint is ok…I will be refinishing whatever I end up getting.

Well, this ended up being longer than intended. Not sure if I should have broken it up into separate topics. Thanks for any help you can offer! I’m excited about getting started! Just so you know, I live in the Los Angeles area.