View Single Post
Old 03-13-2016, 02:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Cobra RT3, Roush 427R Crate Engine, Tremec 6-Speed Transmission
Not Ranked     
Default Backdraft Windshield Frames

Larry,

Thanks for posting my questions about Backdraft windshield frames. I would really like to stay with the OEM glass windshields as they are DOT approved. I had stress cracks in four glass windshields in my previous Backdraft Cobra with aluminum windshield frame, each broken glass windshield having been replaced with an OEM DOT glass windshield. My second Backdraft Cobra, now one year old, has just incurred a stress crack in the lower passenger side of the glass windshield. I just do not want to repeat windshield replacements over and over again if the chrome over brass windshield frame will eliminate or significantly reduce the windshield failures due to stress cracks emanating from the frame. So, is the chrome over brass windshield a good upgrade to consider?

I am religious about not letting anyone touch my windshield. So, I believe the windshield cracks are stress related and not due to pressuring the windshield by humans. I have seen no evidence of rocks or debris hitting my windshield. I only drive conservatively on the street--no racing--just cruising to and from the tennis courts and golf clubs.

I suspect the windshield frames may be stressed upon installation and transferring stress to the windshields.

Comments from all appreciated.

Phil