View Single Post
Old 03-18-2016, 09:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

So here is the update: While I was waiting for the heads from Brent, I went through a bunch of things, resealed a few, welded up a new throttle bracket (actually a few), installed new pan gaskets with the stainless rail I made, installed a new cam (still solid roller, but it should be far more streetable at 248/252, .600 lift) and replaced a bunch of bolts with slick ARPs.

Then I got the heads back and received the new BT dual plane intake. Bolted on the heads and mocked up the intake, measuring everything twice. It actually fit within all tolerances so I installed it. It really looks great. Quality piece. I need new pushrods, so I just ordered some custom Smith three-piece 5/16" thick wall (0.118) with tool steel ball ends. I'd like to use 11/32" or 3/8" but I'm not sure they'd clear, so I went with the best 5/16" I could find.

Another nice thing is that the BT gives me almost another inch of clearance, say 3/4". I was severely restricted with my air cleaner, so now I can use a 2.75" x 8.125" round air cleaner instead of a 2". Should be much better, and I can get rid of that heinous Xtreme top and use the S&H.

But... I pulled a real bonehead move. I had a rag in the distributor hole but then I pulled it out just before I put in the distributor to test the fit with the manifold. Wouldn't you know that during the few seconds I had the rag out I dropped a stainless nut in. I managed to see it briefly, twice, with a borescope but it's pretty far down so I can't even get the borescope to see it with any regularity. It is toward the front of the engine on some ledge behind the block front wall. If I can't at least knock it down to the pan and fish it out from there, I'll have to drop the pan again.

I'm out of pocket for the next couple of weeks but hopefully I can pick it up again and get it started by mid-April. The last time I had the car out was New Year's Day, so it's been awhile. I've spent a ton of time on this, so really looking forward to finishing and getting it back on the road. Hope I don't need too much retuning.