View Single Post
Old 03-23-2016, 09:33 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by allcarfan View Post
Coolant based heater.

I think when I go in for my 500 mile checkup, I will just have the shop take a look at everything. I don't like dealing with electrical gremlins.
I understand. There is a fan, with a DC motor, in your heater that will normally draw about 5 to 7 amps -- that's it. Your headlights will draw ten or more. If your voltage drops significantly when you turn your heater switch on, but it does not do the same when you turn your headlights on, then you know there is something wrong on the heater circuit. Very easy for someone to diagnose -- maybe it's bad connections, a failing DC fan motor, something wrapped around the fins of the fan so it's holding the motor back, who knows. Try that test between the headlights and the heater, and if only the heater makes the voltage drop, then stick your head under the dash and see if you can look inside the heater and see if there's anything obviously wrong. If you can't see anything, then any shop or garage will easily be able to tell you what's wrong with it. But, sometimes getting the heaters out of these cars can be a bit of a nuisance.