View Single Post
Old 03-23-2016, 04:52 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by allcarfan View Post
So...as I started to remove the case from my power master alternator...some debris fell out. I didn't take the case all the way apart...but enough that I could shine a flashlight in there and realize the debris is from a brush that started crumbling. I stopped right there.
I'm a big fan of having alternators rebuilt, as opposed to buying new ones. If you feel comfortable doing it, take the negative cable off the battery, then take some pictures of your alternator, take the top bolt out, and the bottom one out, one of those two are on a sliding bracket of some sort, then take some pictures of the wires on the back of the alternator, remove the wires, slip the belt off, and take the alternator to the rebuild shop. Fifty bucks or less and you'll be all set. Then just reverse the procedure using your pictures. When you have it all put back together, lightly tap the negative cable to the battery first, and if you see no big shower of sparks, bolt it all up and fire it up.