View Single Post
Old 04-13-2016, 02:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Dax
Not Ranked     

Whilst we're on the subject of WOT crashes, I have a mildly amusing story with no major injuries to tell.

Many years ago I lived in a shed on my sister's property just outside of sunny Mt. Isa. She drove a Maloo ute, and I drove a Moke. I got to live in the shed with the Maloo, which she wouldn't let me drive (which explains a lot of my dislike for Holdens).

She tripped over in the dark one morning as she was getting out of the house to go to work. Feeling a little sore, she jumped into her Maloo, started it up, and got a cramp in her leg. She dropped the clutch, punted the Maloo into the back of my Moke, then proceeded to push it across the shed floor and out through the colorbond wall of the shed. Traction control is a wonderful thing...

As I've stumbled out of bed, bleary eyed and half dazed at the sound of an LS3 at full bore at 5am in a shed next to my bed, I asked the seemingly obvious question:

"Why didn't you turn it off sooner?"

"Because I wasn't expecting it" (or words to that effect).

And this happened from a standstill - max speed was probably 15km/hr.

Sure, an inertia switch wouldn't have helped (because it didn't), nor would an oil pressure switch or anything else. Being prepared, knowing what to do and being practiced at it are some simple controls that you can and should make sure that you have in place.

Note that my sister has only ever driven manuals, used to race bikes and was still surprised at how quickly it happened. I'm glad she went the direction she did, because the other way was through a wall to the bed I was asleep on!

Treeve