View Single Post
Old 04-28-2016, 06:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     
Default Electrical help.

Have had my first ever "not easily solvable" non start.

Fired her up this arvo, after running for a few seconds, it spluttered once, fired up again and then died. Tried again, started and ran for about 3 seconds an then died again.

Starter motor doesnt go, nor does the fuel pumps which normally would with ignition on. The starter bypasses the ecu so Im pretty sure that is not it.

Started diagnosing - checked all the fuses - all good. Started checking all the wires around the starter motor. The insulation around some of them had coped a battering from heat from the headers, and its possible?? I had one short out. have 2 fusable links - one to the alternator and one for battery 12v to the fusebox and they all tested OK.

This is the part that has me stuffed. Pulled the starter out and wired it back up - so not grounded. Checked the starter relay (checked from behind the relay block), getting 12v on the switch wire when cranking, getting 12v on the out wire to the starter when cranking if the starter is not earthed. When starter is earthed Im only getting millivolts. Thought the starter solenoid could be fried so I pulled it all the way out and it tested fine.

So have i got another short to ground somewhere or a bad earth? I have managed to keep most the smoke in wires so far.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers