View Single Post
Old 05-06-2016, 02:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ex owner of a polished Kirkham 427 S/C. Now Cobra-less and driving a mid-engine German hot rod.
Not Ranked     

Thx Bruce. Heres the saga - I called DMV and they said bring it in for a Level 1 inspection and then hey would issue a VIN and title/registration. Said it had to go to DMV for the inspection and title application and not one of the authorized 3rd party places (I called a few and they said the same thing). They also said I would need a 1-day permit in order to legally drive it down there and since it was a kit car (VIN not recognized in "the computer" I could not get that online. So my wife went in to get the permit for me bless her heart and they gave her a 3-day permit ("'65 Ford").

However when I got to the DMV in Scottsdale they said it had to have a level 2 ("we used to be able to do it with a level 1 but not anymore"). And they only do level 2 inspections Monday-Thursday. So all for naught.

I figured something was not right when I only had 11-12 volts with the engine running (and no movement of the voltage gauge between idle and higher RPM) but thought perhaps it was just because the battery was low. Voltage started to drop pretty quick though and was down to 8 volts by the time I got to the DMV (enough to run the ignition but not crank the starter).

I will check the connections and make sure nothing is touching the head (good point ther - it looks really close). Also I only have wires going to one terminal on the alternator - shouldn't all three terminals have connections?