View Single Post
Old 05-11-2002, 09:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Mike

Re your>>>The IRS is better in all respects except price and ultimate strength. <<<

I'd like to add another thing that the Live axle is better than the IRS. Drag Racing. IMO, there is no doubt that equal for equal the IRS doesn't "do it" for drag racing. Also I've ridden in a LOT of IRS Cobra's and haven't found one that rides as nicely as my Johnex with its Ford 9" rear. Only problem is with any Ford with a Trac loc is that they are really weak posi units. Replace them with a Power Trax or a Detroit Locker and add the Daytona Pinion support and forget about rear end problems. Great 60' times and really good ride. What's not to like...There have been some good articles about IRS vs Live axle and the bottom line is that they can both be good or bad depending on the parts used. t

Also to High Plains Drifter, who says a 3:73 and Tremec makes 1st gear useless. My car does 1.40's 60' times with a 4:11 and a Tremec. I haven't found many Cobra's with any engine that do much better than that and mine is only 274" and a "6". Also it turns 10.8's with no nitrous or turbo so I'd say it depends on the combination whether a Tremec and deep gears do well together...IMO, of course.

Regards,

Last edited by justa6; 05-11-2002 at 09:28 PM..