View Single Post
Old 05-13-2016, 01:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fordstroker 408w custom solid roller-Craft ported Brodix 17*heads-CFM ported Vic Jr. intake-1 3/4 primaries- 575hp-TKO-600RR Liberty upgrade- -Moser 8.8 trutrac-McLeod Street Extreme--QA-1-Wilwood brakes, Classic Chambered 3" Cobrapacks, Avon's
Not Ranked     

I just received my Avon's and compared them with my Cooper Cobra [ MT Sportsman S/T]
Durometer: Avons 60-65
Cooper Cobra 75-80
I was surprised by the reading of the Cooper Cobra tires, Not too bad and the reason they are probably the best bang for the buck in 15". I paid $600.00 cash two years ago.

Now along with the difference in Durometer readings, the big difference is the rubber to road contact patch. It was visibly obvious that the cooper cobra with their 3/8" grooves going radially AND laterally ( if that makes sense to the engineers) compared to the 1/8 grooves on the Avons only radially, None laterally, could be more than 50% !!! I thought that was significant.
I have yet to try them out on the road as I'm doing the Tremec trans mods and a new ring and pinion.
I'll let you know.
Oh the price--..... I'll just skip that part, I've been in the Racing / Hot Rod world too long to care. As for the wife ...the policy is "Don't ask Don't tell"