Thread: Setting Timing
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2016, 04:58 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large Arbor View Post
Ok Patrick, What am I measuring for connectivity. There are two wires that come off of the distributor. When I rotate it what should I be measuring? What point to what point?

Phil
Set your VOM for "resistance" so that when you touch the two leads to one another the needle swings showing a "good" connection of little to no resistance. If it's a digital VOM the resistance number in Ohms will drop to almost zero. That's a good connection.

Now, put one lead on the coil terminal that is in the middle of the distributor cap. Put the other lead on any of the other eight terminals that surround the circumference of the cap. Then rotate the gear at the bottom of the distributor so the rotor revolves under the cap. If all of a sudden the needle swings showing you have a good connection, move to the next terminal and do the same thing. I'm just trying to determine whether there is a faulty connection for all the terminals on the cap except #2 and #6. Make sense?