View Single Post
Old 05-17-2016, 08:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modena View Post
Also the traction test is only a straight-line braking test in the wet, there are no dry tests,
This goes towards the traction rating only (AA-C) doesn't it - not the treadwear number.

My understanding is that the idea of the class was to accomodate those drivers that wanted to have a bit of fun without going to the expense and daily driver limitations of running an R-Spec Tyre. The KU36 was chosen because at the time it was very popular choice and a bit of a compromise between track performance and daily use. It was also widely available online and at tyre outlets so very accessible and relatively cheap

Whilst the UTGQ may not be an ideal way to even out the field, I cant see any tire with a UTQC greater than 180 in our typical sizes that should perform significantly better than the KU36 giving an advantage to that entrant.

If we choose a single tyre going forward, it looks unlikely we will get the same number of people picking that tyre by default as they did with the KU36 - as it was so popular even before the class was devised. So to me finding some criteria that allows a selection of similar tyres makes sense, and UTGQ, even with its flaws might be the best measure.