View Single Post
Old 05-23-2016, 02:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR#499 351W with Webers
Not Ranked     

I am bumping this to the top with hopes that someone here as been through this process recently and can help point me in the right direction…

My story: I moved here from Tennessee in the summer of 2013 my Cobra was registered in TN at the time and I elected to keep the TN registration until it expired. As fate would have it, I had my dizzy gear consume itself and I ended up taking my car to Blood Enterprises to get the engine repaired. VERY LONG story short, my original engine builder screwed up the build and Blood had to rebuild the entire engine. I fought for over a year to get the original builder to buy the repair parts for Blood to do the rebuild. I am now at the point where the car is ready and I need to register it.

I have been to the Gig Harbor DOL no less than three times; each time I get a different story, but no registration. I called DOL in Olympia last Friday and was told I could title register my car under SB5585 with my current TN title. They said; “just take you title to the Gig Harbor DOL and they will title it under SB5585.” Well I tried that this past Saturday and was told I first have to register and title the car as a 2007 Assembled vehicle and once the title comes in, THEN I can change it to a Collector Car and register it under SB5585! I told the counter clerk that is not what I was told by customer service in Olympia. She said she would call Olympia on Monday (today) and check.

I just received the call from the clerk at the Gig Harbor DOL stating that she was right and I had to first register my car as a 2007 Assembled vehicle, because it was on an out of state title, otherwise I would have to pay sales tax (I paid sales tax in 2007 when I first registered the car), but if I registered it as a “regular” car I wouldn’t have to pay the tax and when my title comes in I can then register it as a collector vehicle without the tax!!! Of course I will never pass emissions with my stroked 351W!! So I am caught in a “catch 22!”

I know I am being told nonsense! How can a “regular” car not be taxed, but the same car titled as a collector car is? Has anyone been through this before?