View Single Post
Old 05-28-2016, 08:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

I have noticed that no matter what is being sold, the person selling it recommends theirs, as the best. Life insurance salesmen will tell you that whole life is a great investment for retirement. A stock broker will tell you that the funds (that he makes the most commissions on) is the best.

The Wolf may work quite well and this guy will be very familiar with it. You want to ask some specific questions. Is it MAP and deletes Mass flow sensor? If yes why? What's the advantage to this? How big of a cam can it handle? Get more specific. Not how big of a cam can you make work, but make run very well on the street with good manors.

Does it use O2 sensors to trim in the fuel? Standard O2 or wide band? How much range can the correction tables correct for?

How does this system map the timing tables? What all factors does it use to adjust timing. You need more timing at light load and less at WOT. How does it calculate load. You need to know how much air is flowing into the engine verses what would flow at 100% VE to calculate this. Since they are deleting MAF sensor they have to estimate this with MAP, which is less accurate. Do they switch to a WOT timing map? Timing also needs to change with AFR. Do they bring this into the timing tables?

Does your engine have EGR and if so does the wolf control and use EGR correctly? Does it pull more timing in when EGR is being used? It should.

How does it control idle speed and how adjustable is it? The IAC controls air flow at idle, but this is a slow response. Ford also uses timing as a fast response to control the idle. Can you set a high speed adder on start and choose how long it stays high? Can you change the time based on engine temp? Can you control how fast the idle ramps down? Does this system take inputs from AC and Power steering to help control idle (if you have AC and Power steering)?

Anyway that is what pops off the top of my head. I hope it helps you to start thinking about the issue. The Moats.net site has tons and tons of learning material to help you to start understanding the questions you should ask.

I would guess that there are lots of hotrods out there that have some EFI system that claims to be self tuning wonderful things. I would bet that most are leaving a lot Hp unmade, while wasting fuel and polluting more than necessary, due to poor tuning and oversimplified control strategies that fall short.

Last edited by olddog; 05-28-2016 at 09:05 AM..