View Single Post
Old 06-02-2016, 06:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #813, 427 FE Sideoiler
Not Ranked     
Default Gasdoc's ERA build - #813

Hello,

I thought I'd go ahead and create a build log since people were starting to ask me questions regarding the car in the engine build thread Brent started. I didn't want to tie up his thread with unrelated questions.

A little about me:

This build will be a first for me. My experience with working on cars has been limited to my teenage and college years when I did my own oil and brake changes, plugged tires, swapped out a couple exhausts, distributors, throttle bodies, and helped a friend replace the engine in his 1970 something beetle. My car at the time was a '84 Rabbit GTI and I was determined to get every last horsepower out of it on a limited budget (really no budget, lol). Anyways, I have always loved cool cars and always dreamed of owning a 427 Cobra from the day I first saw one. A little over a year ago I decided to go for it! That's when I called up Peter at ERA and put my order in .

Here are the details on the car:

- ERA 427 S/C Cobra
- Guardsman Blue/Wimbleton White Stripes (I'm still haven't finalized the blue color. I'm planning to have Connecticut Custom Cars do the paint and they have a Cobra on their gallery with a blue color which is from Lexus that I really like. Also, there apparently is a Superformance Guardsman Blue that is different from the Shelby Guardsman Blue. Have to study this a bit further.)
-Riveted hood scoop, chrome roll bar, chrome bumpers in place of jack pads
-Stainless sidepipes with 28"mufflers and heat shields (yes, I have kids)
-Triplode headlights/ double round tail lights
-Black leather seats/dash/interior/trunk carpet
-SC Dash with glovebox
-Smiths gauges with ccw speedometer, voltmeter swap for ammeter
-15" steering wheel
-"AC" on the steering wheel cap and foot pedal faces
-Dual front fans
-6 pin drive reproduction wheels
-Avon or Goodyear Billboard tires (Leaning toward Avons for driveability and legality but bummed about not having the huge white Goodyear letters)
-ERA rear suspension with outboard brakes
-heater box/ heated seats (flame away, I live in Kentucky and I plan on driving this car!!!)
-Radio (Feel free to open a new thread just to flame me on this one, I am going to hide it completely including the speakers, but I do have kids and plan to do some road trips. That is why I chose the quieter pipes and also the transmission with the overdrive.)

Drivetrain details:
- 427FE including lots of original 1960s parts, built by Brent Lykins (see his thread on this engine in the FE Talk forum)
- TKO600 tranny with 0.82 OD/3.54 rear end

I'm new to posting stuff on a forum but 'll try to post some of pics that I have so far from ERA when I figure out how to post photos.

I'll try to update this as things progress. I'm hoping to have the car by mid summer.

Comments ?