Thread: WOT too Lean
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2016, 12:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DIY Coupe, F/T ,MkIV.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastd View Post
Also, upon further reflection I think I can clarify something...

I do agree that PV and main jets don't effect idle...but pure static idle at 800 rpm with no throttle plate movement is not what I am referring to.

I am saying that:
1. warm vacuum is 11"
2. cold vacuum is 7.5"
3. that when the engine is cool and trying to warm up, I can't keep it running without feathering the throttle. I can't just start it and let it warm up at steady idle and vacuum with no help from me - I don't have a choke...throttle needs to be feathered.
4. That feathering brings the vacuum down to about 5" let's say. As I feather it, a 6.5 pv opens the throttle plate and allows pv enrichment to happen and drowning my motor, bring the a/f to the 9s...it barely runs at that rich level.
5. pv of 4.5 is just low enough for not trigger "warming up" vacuum dips.

See what I mean?
Been watching this thread, one question.... why do you wish to 'warm' it up at low RPM, a constant 'fast' idle setting of around 2000/2500 for use during the warm up phase would be more useful especially for cam lube etc. Feathering or blipping the throttle is always going to enrichen with pump shot & PV.
Ive used the electric throttle solenoid in the past or you can use a manual choke throttle cam if the mounting boss is still in the carb body.