View Single Post
Old 07-02-2016, 01:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars, Ford 427 FE Side Oiler
Not Ranked     
Default Casual track day prep

Hi all,
I'm planning to prepare my Unique for casual track day event (mostly point & pass) and am wondering about safety aspects.
On the mechanical side the car is all good, with racing oil pan and so on, so I'm not too worried.

My Cobra has an S/C rollbar that's securely bolted to the frame and 4 point belts that look OK; however I have a few concerns with how safe the car is:

- low seat. Looks like a good setup to break a neck. The best solution is probably to install a real racing seat. Any alternative solutions such as Hans devices some Cobra trackers have experienced? I'm think to at least install a vintage Kirkey (41 series) that's taller than the stock one, then use a Hans device. Would this be enough in case of bad hit? These usually don't happen in point-and-pass session but bad stuff can always happen...

- height of roll bar. I case of rolling the car (here again, crossing fingers as it happened to me only once in almost 10 years of endurance championship) Is the nose of the car stiff enough to ensure a strong line above the driver?

- steering wheel. Does is make sense to use a smaller, tubular wheel for track days?

Thanks for any advice !

Luke