View Single Post
Old 07-04-2016, 11:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #164 427 Med Rise Side-Oiler, 4 Speed Toploader
Not Ranked     
Default No rear turn signal flashers while braking

I've looked through ERAs signal troubleshooting guides but none of the circumstances given there match what I'm seeing, so I thought I'd ask for suggestions:

Brake lights work, headlights work, and all four signals work. If I turn the running lights on, and then signal, the flashing turn signals are visible because the flashers are brighter than the running lights, as they should be.

However, when I apply the brakes, which are brighter than the running lights, I can no longer see the pulsing rear signals through the strength of the brake light. If I look directly at the filament through the trunk, I can see that it is pulsing, but it's barely perceptible. From outside the car the pulsing is so weak that it just translates as a steady brake light.

The signal switch seems to be doing its job. I assume the continuity checks from ERAs troubleshooter will indicate that the switch is good, or I wouldn't see signal flashing at all (without brakes applied, either). Maybe it's still operating but in a degraded state? Anybody have ideas on how to proceed with troubleshooting?