View Single Post
Old 07-26-2016, 03:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

You have to qualify this into two categories.....what the rotating assembly can handle and what the engine as a whole can handle.

For example, a rotating assembly could potentially turn 7000 rpm without issue because of the rod design, piston design, etc. However, due to the cylinder head, compression, and camshaft, it may only make peak hp at 5000 rpm.

Looking at the opposite, you may see someone put a big set of cylinder heads and a huge cam into an engine with factory rods, cast pistons, etc. In that scenario, the bottom end may be able to handle 6000 rpm, but the heads and the camshaft want 7000.

As an aside, one of the BIGGEST fallacies hopping around the internet engine forums is that a long stroke engine can't turn high rpms. I get very tired of hearing that big blocks with long stroke crankshafts are slow revvers, or can't turn higher rpms, but a small block is very zippy and can spin to the moon if necessary.

There are so many variables involved, that a blanket statement like such simply can not be made.