View Single Post
Old 07-26-2016, 07:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar Classics LS427. Self-built 408W, AFR 195 heads, Performer RPM Intake, Quick Fuel 750, 407rwhp, 479rwtq
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post

How many broken springs did they find?
They took the driver's side valve cover off and found "at least one" broken inner spring. I don't think they did any more than that. Once he found the broken spring he called me to see what I wanted to do. The labor alone on replacing them all was quoted as $1k. He was going to go"talk to the machine shop" to see what springs they recommended. I don't know anything about their machine shop, and I trust Brent, So I just told him to put it all back together and I would do the work myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWRAT View Post
AFR 195 Renegade heads are rated to 7,000 rpms per ARF specs.
I'm betting you have a different problem causing your misfiring.
That's if AFR used the same springs when I bought these heads as they do now. Yes, the current springs are rated for 7k, but I read on other sites that previously the 7k springs were an option, not standard. They have since started using the better springs as standard. I don't know which springs I actually have.

The shop guy said a spring was broken. He said they were only rated to 6k and were weak. I didn't ask how he decided that. Either way the springs need to be replaced if there is a broken one.

When I get it back tomorrow, I'll see if I can figure out what springs they actually are, then find their ratings. They should be painted with a color stripe for identification.