Old 07-28-2016, 08:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: All original, with Chevy engine since 1964
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post
Nice find Mike.
A replica ford windsor vs the ford coyote.
Oh God- Not this again... c'mon Anthony- shame on you.

I already hashed this out with Brent Lykins a few months back.

The only dimension shared between the LS and the Windsor are the 4.4 inch cylinder bore centerlines... Nothing else; and that could be a result of coincidence just as easily as it could be a nefarious plot by GM to rip off a "superior" Ford bore centerline layout.

This 4.4 inch bore centerline also happens to be the basis of the Generation I GM small block design- You know, the one that came out in 1955? Six years before the Windsor came out...

There is even the popular myth that LS heads will "bolt right up" to a Windsor engine - But again, it's a MYTH (although one that seems to be really popular with the Ford guys)

Now it is true that LS heads can be ADAPTED to fit to a Windsor block (due to their matching bore centerlines) , but there is machining, drilling, tapping, water-jacket mating, and gasket modification (or customization) necessary to achieve an operational engine after doing this.... It's not "Just bolt them on and go!"

You can also adapt a set of LS heads to a GEN I GM small block (Again, the one that came out in 1955.. The FIRST one; and therefore the basis of ALL small block V8 designs to follow...)

Another popular myth is that the LS engine was designed by Ford guys that GM "stole" - Well, neither Ron Sperry, John Juriga, Jim Hicks, Ed Koerner, Bill Compton, Brian Kaminski, Jon Lewis, Stan Turek, Don Weiderhold, nor Dave Wandel ever worked for Ford prior to their involvement on the GenIII small block project...

Brian Kaminski left GM and went to Ford AFTER the LS engine had been in production for several years.

Meanwhile - Let's take an inventory of every GM patent that was leveraged by Ford for use on the Coyote platform:

1) Single coil on plug? GM patent.
2) Corkscrew phenolic plastic intake manifold? GM patent (Edit: This is actually only half-correct. GM patented the corkscrew runner shape on their manifold, but the patent on the Nylon material and the injection molding process actually belongs to Dupont.)
3) Controlled compression carrier gasket sealing? GM patent

Historical facts: They can be such pesky inconveniences when car-guys are trash-talking with each other, can't they?....

Fords- The best engines money can buy.... But only if you have a LOT of money...

Last edited by moore_rb; 07-28-2016 at 06:41 PM.. Reason: corrected patent information for Dupont