Old 09-02-2016, 06:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaSnaka View Post
RedHawk,
Do you know who the manufacturer is of your upper control arms. They look just like mine only mine are black. More important I am still hunting for the correct replacement ball joint. I have been around and around without success. Ready to buy new arms and say screw it.

John
MaSnaka,

The Heidts stuff is great, you can go with upper and lower A-Arms or just Upper A-Arms and lower coil over arms with strut rod. See one of my previous posts on this string, it contains all the part numbers (Strut Rods need to be for Pinto, not Mustang 2...found out the hard way, the bends are different degree angle) Heidts has all the stuff.

IMPORTANT Note:If you are planning on having your Arms powder coated, order them from Heidts WITHOUT the bushings or ball joints installed, just packed separately in the shipment! The reason is powder coating bakes the finish at temps ranging from 350-400 degrees and this will destroy the bushings and ball joints. I spoke with Rob at Heidts customer service on this as I was also going to have mine powder coated black and Rob told me specifically to remove all bushings and ball joints. Both bushings and ball joints are pressed into the arms. Problem is you will probably destroy the bushings getting them out as they are in halves and pressed in from the outside. Rob even mentioned that the bushings would probably be destroyed removing them.

Since I'm in the Automotive Coatings business, I just decided to go with high quality epoxy primer (black) and topcoat with Single Stage Urethane Gloss Black. Powder Coating is still a little more chip and scratch resistant, but these items don't typically experience much road wear or abrasions. The original A-Arms I painted this way almost 26 years ago still look good overall. Just know ahead of time if you are painting or powder coating when you order the parts.

Easy bolt in, I should have some pics in the next week as I'm upgrading all suspension to coil overs and 4 piston Wilwood 12.19 rotors.