View Single Post
Old 09-09-2016, 09:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa02 View Post
First off, Thank you Gentleman for the kind word's, I feel part of the club already. Second-@Ron61: I have nothing but respect for my Cobra, 527HP and 2300? lbs, yes the first couple months her & I will dance slowly, to get to know each other, lol. @xb-60 my connection with Alfa's, I brought a yellow 66 GTV back in 1991 and she was my vintage racer, her history started in 66, as a race car her whole life, we raced here in the northwest(Sovren) till the early 2000's, My favorite race car every. 02 was my race#. Now the Ken Miles story: My father who was my hero, got into sports cars in the early 60's. ("new" 1962 Volvo P-1800, first one on the west coast) in the 60's my dad finally at 40+years was able to afford something fun, brought the Volvo and him & I went to the races. He ended up bring a SCCA Pit Marshal, and me being just a kid, was always there to polish wheels or cars for the racer's while dad worked. When the Shelby crew was here(1963) I spent 99% of my time hanging around their pits. Loud guy's with LOUD CARS, polished Mag's, cars, etc. So the end of the weekend, while they were giving rides to worker's they threw me in Ken's car. After the two laps Ken looked over and I think he was disappointed that he hadn't scared the **** out of me, no I had the biggest grin on my face. I remember him steering with the throttle, the best ride in a race car ever!!! I knew who all these guy were, I read every mag(Road&Track, Car&Driver, Sports Car Graphics, Autoweek,etc). Later on i'll tell you guy's the weekend I spent(1968, I was 13) with Mark Donohue(trans-am race Kent) at the track. Again thank you for all the kind, Tom.
It's going to be difficult waiting to hear more stories about the racers, pit crews, pit marshals, etc. I suspect there are others also waiting to hear more!