View Single Post
Old 09-09-2016, 11:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

Redhawk,

One more thing I forgot to mention.

Since you were less than satisfied with your previous shop's performance, I'm guessing they also installed your Wilwood systems?

I ran into something in very small print when I built up all my components for my rear drum to 12.19 rotor conversion from Wilwood. Apparently Ford used at least 10 different axle sizes for the 8.8 rears. The outermost portion of the axle has a raised area that the drum centers on to index in to eliminate runout. There are no fewer that 10 different sizes of these. Wilwood ships with the kits only one set of "rotor hat indexing bushings" with their kits (most common size, 2.83"). My axles are 2.52 indexing hubs and I had to special order these from Wilwood (kinda crappy since they cost $15 each plus shipping).

Reason for my comment is you may want to double check these from your buildup since you were less than satisfied with your previous shop. With the wrong ones installed, the rear rotor hats will have excessive runout during braking as the only thing centering the rotor would be your lug nuts and wheel.

Easy to check. Remove the rear wheel and look at the center of the rotor hat where it meets the axle. You should see a small aluminum "rotor indexing bushing" that centers the rotor hats on the axles. Based on numerous axles used by Ford, odds are not in your favor that the correct ones came with the kit.

Take a close look at the Wilwood instructions. Better to be safe than sorry, especially when it comes to brakes.