View Single Post
Old 09-09-2016, 12:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim7139 View Post
This may be of some help to those with intermittant or failed high beam switch. As has been suggested as a first step, replace the relay. This I did to no avail.
In anticipation of replacement got an assembly from Rick Muck since I really did not want to waste time on parts after I removed the unit.
Once you pull the wheel and slide the unit off you can get behind it to access the switch itself and what I found, I'd assume is a very common cause of issues. All you need is to tease the harness back through the dash an inch or so without the need to unplug anything.
The switch itself is mounted to the stalk with a single small screw. Once you unscrew it and pull the plastic cover, all is revealed. There is a simple spring uner the cover and two simple brass leaves that make contact when the switch is pushed,triggering the relay.
Two wires come up the stalk, each soldered to one of the leaves and in my case, and I suspect, most cases, one joint failed.
5 minutes with a small butane soldering iron......working switch, and now with a spare, unlikely to ever fail again.
Total tools.....one small screwdriver....one small soldering iron.
Thanks for sharing!