View Single Post
Old 09-12-2016, 01:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Luke, I've read and re-read this thread numerous times, and I'm still not quite sure which part of the experience it is that causes you so much discomfort.

Is it the driving position?

Is it the physical exertion involved with steering the car without power steering?

Is it the uncomfortable nature of the seats while driving?

Is the damage done upon entry?

I ask because I was watching on the Velocity Channel a video of how to get into a GT40. It's 4 moves, open the door as wide as possible, step up onto the seat with both feet (still standing), slowly extend your feet into the footboxes as you lower yourself down onto the seat, and then close the door. Since you wondered if a GT40 would perhaps allow you to enjoy a replica other than the Cobra, it seems to me that if you can manage the sequence I mentioned a 40 MIGHT be an option, contrary to the opinions of others, particularly if you could find a good upholstery shop to pad out your drivers' seat to ensure you are comfortable as you sit. If you're like most of us, the proximity issue with the passenger won't be a problem as most of us Cobra drivers are use to rubbing elbows with our passenger.

OK...so as a younger man I fell 32' onto hard packed clay and injured myself...as you can imagine, my back was involved and I had to lay flat on my back in that hospital bed for 9 weeks. Unlike you, I'm not headed for fusions, but I want you to know that I understand from personal experience the discomfort that back problems produce in a Cobra. At that time I would have given my eye-teeth for a car, all I had was a motorcycle and I had to commute 60miles one-way every day...what helped me with the pain was a "corset" style back brace (OK....I'm sure you've been battling your back issues long enough that I don't have to run down the list...). The issue with your back being jarred into pain as you drive may be helped by the combination of a back-brace, extra seat padding, and perhaps softer shocks, as another suggested?

I CAN see why a Daytona may be the least desirable...you'd have to bend over to get in and I remember how much that hurt.

I feel for you...have loved the Cobra since I was in high school and I'm 67 now...bought my replica when I was 57. It takes a while for some of us to get all the impediments to Cobra ownership out of the way....family, career, etc...just hoping you can avoid having to give up an activity which you so obviously enjoy very much.

Don't give up on "adaptive" devices...perhaps the combination of a great seat, a 5 or 6 point harness to help you stay in driving position without exertion (maybe even have a HANS type device installed?), a back brace, extra padding, power steering, softer shocks and....well, you get the idea, there are plenty of sources out there for "adaptive seating", you might check out some of the local places where vans are outfitted for wheelchair-bound drivers.

There just has to be a better way than getting rid of a ride you so obviously relish!

Cheers!

Doug

No names were changed to protect the innocent!

Last edited by YerDugliness; 09-12-2016 at 01:30 PM.. Reason: clarity