View Single Post
Old 09-13-2016, 07:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

Redhawk,

Good to hear you're making some progress on some of the other issues.

One of the things I found during my front suspension A-Arm and coil over mock up was a narrower ball joint width(see my previous post on this). The other issue I found is that the lower strut rod type a-arms would hit the spring towers on the lower front edge. Kind of made me step back and rethink the plan.

Plan B is to install lower A-Arms(ordered from Heidts yesterday and returned the strut rod type arms).

In the meantime, I borrowed a tram gauge from a friend of mine, this is 130" long (adjustable lengths)extremely accurate pointer and measuring device. What I plan on doing is to take extremely accurate measurements of the stock M2 set-up, ball joint width, front to rear ball joint length, diagonal ball joint lengths(left rear axle center to right front ball joint, etc), track widths front and rear, pinion face width side to side and any other measurements that I think would be worthwhile.

When the new parts arrive tomorrow, I'll mock up the new Heidts Arms on the car and compare all of these measurements to see if anything is off considerably from the OEM baseline measurements. From one of my previous posts you can see that the Heidt lower strut rod arms produced nearly ONE INCH NARROWER ball joint width side to side. Even though these aren't their "narrowed" arms, it makes me a little suspicious. Definitely going to check all measurements before any welding.

The One inch narrower lower geometry would definitely impact tie rod length. It would not have an impact on bumpsteer as the inner pivot point of the rack hasn't changed, just the overall tie rod length would need to be shortened by 7/16" on each side.

If you can hold off a few days, probably tomorrow or Thursday, I should have all of the accurate measurements for you to compare to. Once again, I'll have OEM M2 measurements and Heidts parts measurements for us to compare.