View Single Post
Old 09-25-2016, 09:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     
Default For crying out loud!

Okay so as you may know I paid good money for someone to take a crowbar to my resonably good cobra.

Along with numerous problems they caused I am happy to report that two major ones have been solved. Overheating and electrical issues.

The solutions to the above turned out to be so darn simple that I collasped onto the driveway once my neighbor Rod and I figured it out.

Electrical.
Okay so the shop I took the car to took liberty and did a whole bunch of wire dressing most of which I didnt authorise. In doing so they re-installed the starter solenoid ground to a rubber clamp then to the heads. Lolci! Essentially the only reason I was getting intermittently power was the rubber had gotten so hot it partially melted giving touch and go contact. I seperated ground and bolted seperately to heads. Engine started right up on first key turn and idled perfectly.

Overheating
Went for a lap and shorlty afterward the car started to overheat but only while in slow traffic. It would run around 200 to 210 at 60mph then shoot up to 220 then 230 pulling up in driveway when bypass house would start leaking coolant. While driving my neighbor Rod said it seems like you need more airflow like a bigger fan or radiator combo but I'm not sure.

So when we pulled back in the driveway and I parked the car and left idling. The car cooled about 10 degrees to about 210. I popped the hood. While Rod walked around to front of car he noticed something strange. Hot air blowing through the front nose at his legs. Hmmmm what!! I reached in the engine compartment and was like wait a minute! Is the fan blade blowing air at the radiaotor from inside??? We tunrned off car to see which way blades were rotating. Clockwise!!. So we swithed + and - and wammo air was now being pulled through the radiator and not at the radiator from the hot engine. Oh my gosh!!!

These fellas at the SHOP wired the fan control board wrong and had the fan blowing hot engine heat into the radiator from within.

So a couple switch arooos on the wires and test run with a couple run and guns and the temp never even got to 200 staying steady around 190.

Great googly moogly!!

Hoooray!

Last edited by RedHawk; 09-26-2016 at 07:58 AM..