View Single Post
Old 09-28-2016, 07:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

If anyone is interested, these are the brackets (see picture) that I had made for the rear coil over mounts. I took these templates to a local metal fab shop and had two of each made (one set for each side) from 3/16 CRS. The longer bracket is for the upper mount and the shorter is for welding onto the rear axle bracket. My local steel fab shop charged me 25 bucks for all 4 and they did it in 1 day. I would recommend to not bend these yourself using heat as heating CRS changes the molecular makeup of the steel and makes it harder/more brittle, not a good thing on a critical suspension component.

The reason for the upper and lower length differential is to provide for clearance of the coil over and to maintain factory shock angles.

I also welded each of these brackets completely to the upper frame and lower rear axle area making careful measurements for placement, this keeps the rear geometry the same as stock. As well as welding them in, I also gusseted each bracket on the top or bottom and the upper frame mount in two places with 3/16 CRS plate (side and top, see pictures) to provide additional strength. Bolts would probably work, I just feel better knowing these are welded in solidly and constructed from 3/16 CRS, and rock solid. You may not need to gusset the frame, I just think this adds a lot of strength and will make me more comfortable on hard launches or at 100mph.
Attached Images