View Single Post
Old 09-29-2016, 09:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     
Default CR 1 Front Suspension Upgrade

Since the previous thread was getting very lengthy, I thought I'd start a new thread.

Here's my problem:

In the process of upgrading front suspension to QA1 coil overs and Heidts tubular A-Arms.

I'm running into a few issues and want to ask if anyone has done this to a CR1.

Issue 1: Lower A-Arms contact the front lower portion of the Spring Tower/Perch. Has anyone done this conversion and what did you change to eliminate the A-Arm interference? I was thinking about cutting the lower front portion of the spring tower, bending to provide clearance then re-welding the tower.

Issue 2: QA1 Mustang II coil over sets are shorter in term of overall extended shock length and compressed length versus the original Monroe 5815 gas shocks the CR1 build manual called for. Monroe length-13.250 ext, 8.750 Compressed, 4.5"travel------QA1- 11" Extended, 7.75" compressed, 3.25" travel.

Issue 3: The original CR1 upper shock mount extends upward from the spring perch 3" and the small 2" hole provides for shock shaft clearance during upward travel. Due to the larger body diameter of the QA1 shocks, the clearance hole would need to be opened up to provide clearance for the QA1 shock body during upward travel AND I beleive the upper shock mount would need to be shortened to nearly even with the upper sping perch, cutting off the original shock mount, shortening it by 2.5"+ and re-welding to the top of the spring perch.

If anyone has done this conversion to a CR1 I'd appreciate your feedback before I start cutting and welding.
Attached Images