View Single Post
Old 09-29-2016, 11:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

I think I have the answer to all the issues.

The main fact is that the upper U bracket that the shock attaches to at the top needs to be shortened to approximately 1/2" above the top of the spring perch where the upper control arm mounts.

I spent about 30 mins on the phone with QA1 engineering, they are extremely helpful by the way (ask for Bill Foley at QA1), and they helped me with several calculations including lower control arm angles at ride height taking into account vehicle weight per corner with 375lb springs which means the 8" spring will compress approximately 1.4" static, length of shock at ride height (40% of total travel, 60% travel remaining) which means the shock length would be about 9 5/8 inches static partially compressed.

All of this means that just the top of the shock mount bracket should be shortened from it's current 3" height above the spring perch to only 1/2" above the spring perch. This is simple to do by cutting off the current shock mount, cutting the bracket down to 1/2 inch tall (removing 2.5") and then re-welding to the spring perch.

This also solves the internal clearance issue with the shock body not protruding up through the existing spring perch AND completely minimizes the interference issue with the front of the new Heidts control arm contacting the spring tower. I may still bend this slightly, just to be safe to ensure plenty of clearance for the lower control arm.

I'll post pictures when I get the shock mount lowered if anyone is interested.

I