View Single Post
Old 10-06-2016, 10:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Cobra Nats 2017!

Thanks to the encouragement of Modena Ive begun a post for Nats 2017. From what Ive read on the forum and in talking to friends, despite the weather, for those newbies and regulars who attended it was (as usual) a great event. It cant be understated how much effort the NSW club puts into making this event happen and I reckon the trophies should really go to those marshals and helpers who freeze their rings off all day to let us play and make us happy.

Ive attended the Nats since 06. Many have attended since its inception long before that. Some years the weathers good and others not, but essentially the idea of a "national" event for us cobra tragics is awesome. I can remember in 06 or 07 we had 100+ cars/entries. It was hectic but what an atmosphere and so many cars to look at. Before 06 I understand the S&S was held in the main street of Goulburn central.

We did experience a huge drop in attendees brought about by the GFC but now with what AP and Superformance and other manufactures are producing it'd be nice to say that the cobra/gt40 scene in Oz is really healthy??? And yet Nats 2016, despite the thankless efforts of everyone who put on this show together we only got 45+ cars.

It may even be a reflection of whats happening in the respective state based clubs. I know once we lose WP for that long weekend we'd never get it back. The Qlds travel the furthest I guess and we may have the most organised racy group but even for us you could say our regular numbers were 1/2d. No Yve, Chunky, Towy, BDM, Scotty, Mario etc etc?? Many owners may not want to track their cars and I see no problem with that either. Im just wondering, with 12 months to go, what suggestions and extensions of help people may offer to help the NSW club next year??

Here's a few suggestions (helped by a few QLDers who Ive been chatting to) have thought to generate some positive conversation.
- Make the event bi annual? (Would make a yearly booking hard to keep)
- Join in with other clubs like Jag, Ferrari, Corvette or similar 60's/70's competitive marque club and share the event, its costs and its benefits.
- Change venues? Often discussed but may not create numbers and may decrease numbers?
- Change formats?
- Make it a 2 day rather than 3 day event?

The other thing of interest is many regulars have moved on. Stef Greco, Phil M, Scotty H the list goes on. They are all still Cobraphiles but not active in the overall community as such. And its only the new guys coming on board through new cars sales/builds or pre-loved that are going to keep this National event going. Not taking anything away from what's been done but I'd love to see some new people pitching in to help the regular people who organise stuff to not only lend a hand but also a new vision and energy into what we do.

This is in no way a criticism of what's being done. If it wasn't for the likes of the NSW nats committee, Madura, AP, Superformance and Co we simply wouldn't have an event. I just know that generally everyone loves the cobras and we need to help those involved make the event better both in attendance and financially. Sometimes club members are like herding cats and I get that. I'm just launching this topic to get some positive ideas as well as generate some stimulus and help for whatever is planned for 2017.

Bring on your thoughts.....

Spookypt