View Single Post
Old 10-07-2016, 01:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP Pace427 (AP4033) GM L77 6.0L TR6060
Not Ranked     

Thanks spook.

As a newbie myself I certainly appreciate the organising such an event takes, and sincerely hope it continues into the future.

I do think there is some renewed interest in cobra builds and acquisitions, and fully expect this will translate to higher attendance over coming years.

Some random thoughts...
  • In Victoria, as elsewhere, there is an increased proportion of cruising interest over racing, and that reflects on these events unfortunately, just as it does Shelbyfest for example. I know it's been tried before, however perhaps the time is now right to retry incorporating some cruising-type events over the weekend; this might increase overall participation, and will contribute spectators to the race events.

• Speaking of the spectators, perhaps more activities to involve them might drive up attendance. Track time is limited, so perhaps 'joy' rides off track might be in order. (This could work in well with the 'cruising cars' from the previous point attending providing the rides .) I know we can't expect the spectators to entirely fund the racing population, however they can supplement it. Also, with greater audiences come a greater overall interest, and that would increase future competitor numbers hopefully.

• It is a big expedition from Qld, SA and Victoria to attend (forget WA - you're special albanycobra!). I drove on my own both ways for 8 hours towing my cobra up and back. An empty car that could seat 7 comfortably! It occurs to me the interstate clubs could think of ways to drive attendance somehow and use up that 'spare space'. Maybe this space, and the promise of a few rides in some cobras, could be used to encourage club membership or existing new member involvement (those who haven't built or bought yet). Maybe club funds could supplement those drivers offering members a lift? Etc. (Not that we do this for money! Just brainstorming, don't shoot me....)

• The fantastic Baume and Mercer watch raffled this year was a huge hit. Interest reached beyond the core attendees, which was marvellous for spreading the revenue pool but also awareness of the event I think. More of this would be good!

• I love Matt's idea of having replica or vintage Ferraris join in - wouldn't THAT be a treat, and ironic given the history!

Finally, I've booked my accomodation and lodged my holiday request at work for next year already. I'll be there! Bring on Cobra Nats 2017!

Last edited by guye; 10-07-2016 at 01:18 AM..