View Single Post
Old 10-13-2016, 01:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Cobra '68 302, T-5, Jag 3.77 LSD.
Not Ranked     

Its not often I have a big say but here's my 4 bob's worth. I think if you open it up to non CCC members you would need to expand the event, not consolidate it. This event would need to become a pure racing event as it appears that the majority of non-members that would be interested in it, are looking for racing events. It does seem to be almost that now.
Don't get me wrong, I love the racing aspect and could go round and round the track all week, but I think the nationals has lost the thing that once brought along most club members; the relaxed atmosphere, an enjoyable social event for partners, and events that all attendees were happy to enter.

I have attended all Nationals barring the first at Mildura in '94 and the last at West Wyalong (WW) in 2000, when my second daughter arrived. We consistently had in the order of 100 entries along with spouses and several families, both at WW and the early Goulburn meets. The Nationals was started as an event to bring all the members from across the states together for a National meet, before individual state clubs were formed. The events were low key and consisted of a Show and Shine, a Poker Run, and a Go to Whoa on a closed back street on Saturday and Motorkhana, Drags and a 1 kilometre sprint at the airport on Sunday. Some other novelty stuff like visiting the local weighbridge to determine most lightest and most lush Cobra. Not exactly adrenalin pumping stuff, and we were always looking to up the ante, but perhaps it has gone too far.

With insurance premiums escalating, and speeds getting faster, we had to take the events to a place that was intrinsically safe, hence Wakefield Park. This venue has encouraged us to go to the extreme – perhaps too far. Over the years I have spoken with or heard talk of guys liking the minor events but aren’t interested in the sprints, ladies or partners getting bored and finding no real interest in attending anymore. Previously there was only a hand full of guys there without their partners, now it would be 30%or more. This is also reflected in the amount of ladies driving in the current format. It is no longer an annual social event, apart from the dinners.

I’m not saying let’s go back to the old days, but let us at least learn from them.

I basically agree with Wazza’s thoughts in backing off from the track and introducing events/activities that all can join in, a good mix of track and off track events. Reducing the track days would certainly help in the budget. Yeh, yeh, I can hear the roar from the die-hard racers, but anyone who wants lots of circuit work can always fulfil their need at other dedicated track days. To get the entrants in to cover costs, we need to have an event that is attractive to all demographics, not just one. Goulburn has a good district road network and local towns, that would prevent repetitiveness in say poker runs or mystery drives etc.

I also see where Wazza is going with sub leasing the track on Sunday, but I doubt the track managers would go for that. I know any astute business mind wouldn’t, particularly when the track is already in high demand. The October long weekend Monday is not a holiday for all states, so would it hurt if we moved it to late Oct or early Nov? Weather would most certainly be better and more stable. I also heard over the course of the weekend, that the track management is receiving pressure and offers from others for our weekend, we could us this to negotiate a surrender for another favourable time slot.

The idea of joining in on their Lilac festival may not wash with a lot of the town folk. They are already invaded by race cars and other car clubs most of the year and while we think we’re special, they may not. We also may not wish to be tied to their time frames for having the cars immobilised, restricting our program for the day.

The event is a club event, if we keep the current format and invite others, we just become race promoters. Nothing wrong with that, however that would need to be a separate event and handsomely profitable for the club.