View Single Post
Old 10-14-2016, 09:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3175
Not Ranked     

As a first timer to Nationals, I thoroughly enjoyed myself and liked the format.

That being said, I have to admit feeling a little 'selfish' giving up a long weekend (NSW) with the wife and kids to "go racing" - the concept of standing around watching me watching cars rip around a track has zero appeal to them. Furthermore, I am aware of at least two other owners who don't attend for the simple reason they don't want to put their car on a track (I suspect they may feel embarrassed by this and therefore simply avoid the event altogether)

If the goal is to increase participation / attendance, then surely the action is to create events that are more inclusive and engaging to a wider audience.

With this objective in mind, I would support other comments in this thread recommending limiting track activity to two days (subject to WP allowing a sublease) and/or an itinerary that provides alternative activities for those that don't want to participate in competition events. Those not participating in track events should have access to lower entry fees, albeit there may be an element of cross-subsidising if we're not able to release one of the track days to another club?

Non track events to attract a wider audience may include;

1. A charity drive to raise money for a particular charity (as a White Ribbon ambassador I'm happy to recommend this as an opportunity to raise awareness about preventing violence against women)....This gives the event a greater purpose.

2. A "Ladies Day"......Men chauffeuring their ladies on a wine tour (2 or 3 local wineries) to say thankyou for putting up with us and the love affair we have with our Cobras!

3. An orienteering race (all at street legal speeds of course) where each entrant is given a list of clues to follow to arrive at a secret location for a picnic/lunch

4. A convoy to Canberra to visit National museum of Australia, National gallery of Australia, Questacon, Australian war memorial or Parliament House (maybe send a message to parliament about icv' while we're there!)

I'm sure others have many more suggestions, but hopefully this illustrates the concept of attracting "others"

With regard to on track events, I personally could take or leave the slalom and drag events, but the super sprint laps are as close to heaven as I get.....more of this would be fine by me :-)

On a separate, but related note, I was learning a lot while listening to everyone talking about tyres and various performance parts.....I can't help think there are additional sponsorship opportunities for other/additional suppliers. And while I'm at it, a big shout out to the guys at Superformance, Absolute Pace, Stryker and others for supporting this event!

Kim, well done on a mighty effort thus far......As a NSW member, I understand I need to pull my finger out and lend a hand going forward, all in the hope we can get the word out and attract many more people to next year's event.

Cheers,
James