Old 10-15-2016, 08:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbgray1 View Post
Redhawk,
My Flaming river column is gorgeous, I ordered a polished, tilt, with no key...going to install an ignition switch with a key on the dash when I rebuild the dash. Probably also going to install a momentary "starter" rubber coated button for the start function.

My column was approx 800 bucks with the drop bracket and aluminum swivel bearing plate for the firewall protrusion. FR also offers in column start button with proximity fob and electronic box controller, I'm just not sure how much this adds to the cost. The reason I didn't go that way is that their controller can operate 6 to 8 functions, power windows, door locks, auto start, etc and I just didn't need all that. Also, keep in mind the polished column is probably twice the cost of a painted unit.

I also am replacing the sector shaft and both U joints in the sector shaft with an FR unit once I start reassembling the car. It was interesting that a car with only 26k on the odometer had a fair amount of play in the joints on the sector shaft. Let me know if you need the part numbers that I ordered from FR. This is a custom length for them but still only took 3 days for them to build. FR is only 10mins from my home in the Cleveland area.
Okay awesome! Yeah I'll take whatever part numbers you got. Brackets and all. Your on the money too the push button on the dash. Thats the way.

What rack and pinion are you using? My car has 8k mikes on it. It had 5k and I've put almost 3k since I bought it 5 months ago. Didnt buy this car to make it a garage queen.

Its kinda like during one of the Jerry Seinfeld episodes where he's going to rent the car and the car rental agent says after all the banter back and forth about holding the reservation, agent says "do you want Insurance on this car "and Jerry says "heck yeah cuz I'm going to beat the living snot out of this car." I wonder if thats why the ujoints and steering gear seem to be worn out? I mean I know I didnt do it, it was from PO but Im sure I have contiributed some what.